The second thing that makes a stunning impression after the way you are dressed is how you smell in your body. Choosing the appopriate signature scent to invest in, from the millions of perfumes available today in all stores is usually a tough challenge…well, until now…
As the famous Coco Chanel once said –
A perfume is something which is invisible and yet an unforgettable accessory.
Having a signature fragrance serves as a personal scented memory to people we meet daily, co-workers, friends or clients. It has an enormous impact on how people see and remember us.
Have you tried different perfumes all in the name of finding your signature scent? Are you just tired of searching for that one fragrance that suits your style and personality? Search no further, I present you with a simple, concise and foolproof guide on how to find your signature scent.
STEP 1: KNOW THE BASICS – FRAGRANCE STRENGTH VS FRAGRANCE NOTE
THE FRAGRANCE STRENGTH:
There are five key fragrance strengths you need to be aware of, this includes Perfume, EAU De Parfum, Eau De Toilette, Eau De Cologne, and Eau De Fraiche. Use the Fragrance Concentration Guide Below to Learn More.
THE FRAGRANCE NOTES:
- THE TOP NOTE: The top of the pyramid are the top notes, which is made up of clean, citrusy, and fruity scent. These scents are evident when you first spray the fragrance. They don’t last for long.
- THE MIDDLE NOTE: The middle pyramid is the center of the notes made up of green, herbal, floral, or spicy scents. They are more evident when the top notes start to fade. They last longer for about half an hour than the top notes.
- THE BASE NOTE: The last note is the base notes which is at the bottom of the pyramid. The base forms the foundation of the scent. It mostly consists of vanillas, chocolates, woods, and musk – earthy scents. It last the longest than the other notes and they are made up of the largest molecules in the scent. This note is not easily detectable for about half an hour but they last for about two or more hours to the whole day.
STEP 2: GO SHOPPING – TEST EVALUATE AND SMELL THE PERFUME
Now that you have been briefed the basics, it is time to shop for your signature scents. While it is less stressful to shop online, this particular category of shopping, is definitely something you’d want to do in a store or mall first, unless you already have a signature scent or fragrances you love to wear. Once you’ve found your signature scent or a couple of scents you love, you can SHOP ONLINE.
When shopping for your Signature Scent you need to try about 5 – 10 fragrances in order to decide on which one you really like.
I would advise that you go to a reputable fragrance store that sells quality perfumes (and not knockoffs).
STEP 3: SEARCH FOR YOUR SIGNATURE SCENT – TESTING FRAGRANCES ON SCENT STRIPS
Tip: Be prepared. When shopping for scent, go in with enough time for sniffing. Don’t let yourself be pressured into making an instant decision. If you don’t find what you need, move to the next perfume shop.
- Request for scent strips (used for testing aromas and scents), most fragrance shops would have this.
- Then pick the first two fragrances you wish to try first and then select two (2) scent strips.
- Just hold out the paper, then spray each perfume on a separate scent strip.
- Smell them (remember – Trust Your Sense of Smell).
- Don’t make a choice yet, leave it on you, and still move around the perfume shop to try out others. Now I’m not saying you should go about trying all the scents in the shop, narrow down your search by picking from the types of scents identified in STEP 1 – The Basics. E.g. If you’ve identified that you don’t like OUD scents, don’t go about trying Oud scents.
- After trying out 3 different scents, you would have saturated your nose, and your ability to capture the true characteristics of the fragrances diminishes significantly. So before your nose becomes overused and everything starts smelling the same, ask the shop assistant for coffee beans so you can sniff.
STEP 4: TESTING FRAGRANCE ON SKIN
What may smell great on a scent strip might not compliment or be perfect on your skin.
Once you’ve selected the Top 2 or 3 fragrances from your strip test, the next step is to try them on your skin.
Though it’s tempting to try all the nice scents on your skin, try hard to reserve this for the fragrances that stood out for you after your paper/strip tests.
Pay great attention when testing on your skin. The warmth of your skin, it’s natural oils, and your skin’s chemistry will react with the perfume, this will create a scent on your skin that is unique to you.
STEP 5: YOU’VE FOUND YOUR SIGNATURE SCENT
After trying different scents, you’ve finally found your signature scent. Yippeee!
The work is not over just yet, there is one more thing left.
Take note of our No: 1 Rule of Smelling Great:
Ensure your fragrance will always remain a weapon of mass seduction rather than one of destruction.