Like your clothes, haircuts aren’t always standard. Getting the perfect haircut is more than just a few snips of your scissors! Before visiting your hair stylist, you should know your face shape so you’ll know exactly what to ask for.
This can help you achieve a good haircut that will look just right on you. Want to get a haircut but don’t know which style will fit your face? You’ll have the answers in a bit, ‘cos today we’re going to focus on the shape of your face and how it impacts your hairstyle.
Here’s a list of types of face shape and hairstyles that’ll help you flaunt your face shape with more grace and élan!
Note that the same hairstyle can go for different face shape, so don’t be afraid to try a different style that goes with the shape of your face. Plus, all the hairstyles below are befitting for a classy gentleman.
Let’s go through the list without any further ado.
1. DIAMOND FACE SHAPE
The diamond shaped face is long with a pointy chin and wide, high cheekbones and is one of the rarer face shapes. Your face is long with a defined chin, but your cheekbones, forehead, and jawlines are very wide. Here’s how to get the best out of your diamond face:
- The bald and bearded look is a great choice for this face shape, however, if you intend to grow your hair out, longer hairstyles will look good on you.
- You should avoid square cuts and keep your hair softened with a layered haircut.
- I recommend that you grow out your beard to enjoy different hairstyles that pronounce your bone structure.
HAIRSTYLES FOR DIAMOND FACES
Buzzcut, crew cut, skinny, frohawk, side parting, and waves is a good look.
2. OBLONG FACE SHAPE
The oblong face is also known as rectangular has cheekbones, jawline, and chin that are well-balanced. However, it is a longer version of the square face shape, all the facial features such as; the cheekbones, jawline, chin, and forehead are equal – but your face is long and narrow instead of short. Here are some tips below:
- Don’t choose hairstyles or long beards that will make your face look longer. Apart from that, you can pull off any hairstyles, lucky you!
HAIRSTYLES FOR OBLONG FACES
A clean-shaven head (skinny), twist with fade, taper fade, crew cut, side part or buzz cut will do just the trick. Here are some nice haircuts for the oblong face shaped man.
3. OVAL FACE SHAPE
Unlike the round face shape, the oval face is longer than the width of your cheekbones and your forehead is wider than your jawline.
But there is no sharpness along your chin, cheeks, and forehead which makes your face longer than your cheekbones, your forehead is wider than your jaw, and your head shape is generally curved without sharp corners. Here are some tips for this face shape:
- Do whatever you like and you’ll look great.
- Create some volume at the top as it will help to elongate your features.
HAIRCUTS FOR OVAL FACES
Shorter haircuts are best suited for this type of face shape. Examples of haircuts are the buzz cut, crew cut, waves, faded undercut or a skinny haircut. You can also grow your beard with an oval face, but a thick stubble or a clean-shaven face is ideal. See some examples below:
4. ROUND FACE SHAPE
A round face is similar to a square face but it has a smaller forehead with a small rounded jawline. However, there are no sharp lines of the jaw but rather a gentle curve. Here are a few tips for this face shape:
- Style your hair upwards to elongate your rounder face,
- Opt for hairstyles that will elongate your head and give you a more masculine, and angled appearance.
HAIRSTYLES FOR ROUND FACES
For a more defined and longer jawline, go for hairstyles with height at the top like side partings, crew cut, clean-shaven head, fauxhawks and, afro fade.
5. TRIANGLE FACE SHAPE
A triangle head shape has a wider jawline with thinner cheekbones and temple area. Here are some tips below:
- Go for longer hairstyles to balance out your jaw and also add width and volume to the top of your head.
- No hairstyles with high fades to avoid narrowing the forehead even further.
- A well-groomed and full beard will cover the strong angles of your jawline.
HAIRSTYLES FOR HEART FACES
A medium length cut is an ideal look. Medium length hairstyles like short afro will soften the heart shape’s strong forehead. Short twist, mohawk, buzz cut, crew cut and skinny will look great on you.
Finding the perfect haircut that suits your style and face shape can take some time and experimentation. Now that you know what hairstyle suits the shape of your face, you can pick the right hairstyles for your face shape. You can also ask your barber or have an expert which hairstyles suit you perfectly.
In the end, it all comes down to the type of hair you have and how it grows.
What face shape and hairstyle do you have?