The Nigerian Army yesterday responded to the directive by President Muhammadu Buhari, to shoot on sight anyone involved in ballot box snatching in next Saturday’s election and other polls, saying it will be guided by its (Army) rules of engagement.
This came as Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Professor Mahmood Yakubu insisted that ballot box snatchers be dealt with according to provisions of the Electoral Act.
Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col Sagir Musa, said: “The Nigerian Army has made it sufficiently and consistently clear that none of its personnel will be involved in political campaigns, escort of VIPs for political missions and above all, aiding or supporting any political party as has been circulated in noticeable media platforms.
“Although, a detailed release had been released, the need to further make the position of the Nigerian Army clearer is therefore imperative. Our Rules of Engagement and Code of Conduct have not assigned any political role to the Nigerian Army in this regard.
“Nigerian Army’s involvement starts and ends with the provision of peaceful and secured environment for the conduct of 2019 general election.
“Therefore, any insinuation or assertion against this declaration is mischievous and politically motivated which the Nigerian Army under the command of Lt Gen T.Y. Buratai has strongly and severally warned against.
“Members of the public are please requested to judge the Nigerian Army on this declaration.” Confronted with a quote where he said, the instruction of the Commander-in-Chief will be obeyed to the letter, he simply said: “it is not true.”